please visit the HOLIDAY OPPORTUNITIES page under the
"Get Involved" tab.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY SPOTLIGHT...Food Pantry!
We are looking for caring members of our community who want to be involved in helping to meet basic needs. Each month, we serve 100 households, made up of over 300 individuals in our community, from our food pantry, providing shelf-stable and fresh foods.
We can use all the help that we can get, including stocking/shelving, cleaning and sanitizing, assisting clients with their food choices, and administrative tasks like labeling, filing and recording data. We also need drivers for our weekly driving routes for picking up food donations. Whether you would like to be an occasional helper or work towards a leadership role in our growing Food Pantry, we have a place for you!
Our most urgent needs right now are:
* Choice Shopping Experience Volunteers: The Choice Shopping Experience allows clients to shop for and choose their own food from our food pantry, including our fresh foods like produce, milk, eggs and frozen meats. Choice Shopping days are a great opportunity for volunteers to have one-on-one interactions with the people they are helping. Your responsibilities will include greeting clients at the front door, helping them shop and checkout, assist them out of the building and bring cards back. Volunteers must be 18 years or older. For a list of Choice Shopping days, visit www.timetosignup.com/salvationarmyhbg/ and select the "Food Pantry Volunteering" folder.
* Costco Food Delivery: Costco in Harrisburg has generously chosen TSA Harrisburg as a recipient of their "leftover" food. Every Monday and Wednesday, we pick up a van load of food that needs to be unloaded from the van and brought inside, then sorted and organized. This is about a 2 hour process from 9:15-11:15 am. Volunteers must be 16 or older to volunteer on their own. Volunteers 14-16 years old must be accompanied by an adult. For a list of Costco Food Delivery dates, visit www.timetosignup.com/salvationarmyhbg/ and select the "Costco Delivery" folder. We also are looking for drivers to help us pick up the food. If you are interested in driving, please contact Heather at Heather.Fox-Kauffman@use.salvationarmy.org or 717-233-6755 ext. 138.
* Ongoing Food Pantry Volunteers: We always need people who can come in on a weekly basis to help with pantry operations. These tasks include stocking/shelving, cleaning and sanitizing and other tasks as needed. Volunteers must be 16 or older to volunteer on their own. Volunteers 14-16 years old must be accompanied by an adult. If you are interested in volunteering in the Food Pantry, please contact Heather at Heather.Fox-Kauffman@use.salvationarmy.org or 717-233-6755 ext. 138 or select the red "Become a Volunteer" at the top of this page to get started with the application process immediately.
All of these Food Pantry volunteer opportunites are also great for groups! Volunteering is a great team building activity for your business or social club. If you are interested in finding out ways your group can be involved, please contact Heather at Heather.Fox-Kauffman@use.salvationarmy.org or 717-233-6755 ext. 138.
Interested in volunteering in other areas around The Salvation Army Harrisburg? See below for a complete list of volunteer opportunities.
School Year (September - May)
Tutoring Assistant - help individual students or small groups with math and literacy activities and other tutoring (3:30 - 4:30 pm on school days)
Nutrition Education Classroom Aide - assist in activities and recipe preparation in Nutrition Education class (5:00 - 6:00 pm on school days)
Summer Program (June - August)
Lunch Buddy - help supervise lunch time for kids, encourage manners and positive interaction, help with distributing food and general needs (11:30 am - 1:00 pm)
Recess Buddy - help supervise recess time, play basketball or other games with kids, general supervision (11:30 am - 1:00 pm)
Classroom Aide - assist in activities in any of the following classes (anytime between 8:00 am and 3:30 pm) Nutrition Education SPARK (Sports, Play, and Active Recreation for Kids) Christian Education Arts
Kindergarten Readiness Volunteer - assist with preparation and activities in the Kindergarten Readiness Academy (anytime between 8:00 am and 3:30 pm)
After Care Aide - assist in activities or recreation time during After Care program (4:15 pm - 6:00 pm)
- Food Pick-up Driver-pick up donations from an assigned location and deliver to The Salvation Army office
- Food Pantry Helper-assists with stocking food pantry shelves, packing food bags for clients.
- Christmas Assistance Helper-assists with clients with Christmas assistance registration/application process, organizes donations, assists in distribution of toys, food and clothing.
- Breakfast Program Helper-assist our cook in preparing, serving meal and clean-up for our breakfast program which serves 60-100 people M-F
- Childcare Helper-assist in providing childcare for our Kinship Caregiver support group that meets weekly.
- Kettle Volunteer-assists in standing kettles during our annual fundraising campaign. Money raised goes towards directly funding community programs. Volunteers can sign-up for 2 hour shifts.
- Volunteer Driver-assists in transporting volunteers to kettle sites.
- Gift sorting and Distribution Volunteers-assist in sorting and distributing holiday donations.
- Client Application Assistance Volunteers-assist clients applying for Thanksgiving and Christmas assistance programs.
- Marketing Volunteer-assists in making phone calls to our donors, thanking them for their support.
- League of Mercy (friendly visiting) Volunteer-assist in preparing, delivering and/or transporting gifts to area nursing home facilities and senior residences. Volunteers would visit and present gifts to residents.
- Front Office Volunteer-assists in answering phones, sorting mail, greeting clients.
- Greeter Volunteer-greets and welcomes clients and directs them on where to go.
- Phone Call Volunteer-assists in making follow-up phone calls to clients.