Horticulture ZoneThe Horticulture Zone is off and running! The Salvation Army Kroc Center just got a whole lot greener with the opening of our own community garden. The Horticulture Zone will be used to it's full potential all year round. Not only is it a place of learning for our education classes but it is also responsible for growing a variety of produce for our Café.
In the Spring of 2013 our Horticulture staff completed construction on our very own greenhouse/hoop house. This grants the Kroc Center the ability to grow a variety of new crops that depend much more on regulated heat and moisture. Each crop is grown using homemade compost without any pesticides or chemicals to keep each plant healthy. Good soil is the foundation to good vegetables which, in turn, produce healthy people!
Wednesday Workshops with Andy at 10am & 1pm
- May 22 | Cool Season Vegetables: Learn all about vegetable plants that love it from April to June and when to plant them.
- May 29 | Heat Loving Vegetables: Learn all about vegetables that love it from July to the end of September and the best time to plant them.
- June 5 | Container Gardening: Learn about the best strategies for growing vegetables and plants in pots, also learn about making your own potting soil.
- June 12 | Compost: Learn how to turn food scraps and yard waste into fertilizer.
- June 19 | Raised Beds: Learn how to build your own 4 by 8 raised bed planter. If you have tough soil, try a raised bed box.
- June 26 | Garden Pest Control: learn about how to control insects organically. Also learn about row covers.
- August 7 | Tough Plants: Learn about tough low maintenance plants for your garden and home.
- August 14 | Plant Pollinators: Learn about monarch butterflies and their amazing journey. Also learn about pollinators in your garden and which plants attract them.
- August 21 | Storing Flowering Bulbs: Now is the time to think about storing flowering bulbs for the winter. Also learn about which plants root easily and can be turned into plants.
- August 28 | Spring Flowering Bulbs: Learn about planting spring bulbs in the fall that will give you color in the spring when nothing else is blooming.
- September 4 | Herbs: Learn all about growing herbs and how they help in kitchen. Also learn about their medicinal value.
- September 11 | September Gardening: Learn 5 things you can do in your garden in September. This includes, fall plants, attracting birds, and dividing perennials.
- September 18 | House Plants: Learn everything you ever wanted to know about houseplants!
- September 25 | Home Hoop House: Learn how to build your own small hoop house! Sounds too hard to do? Come and watch us.
1st Thursday of the Month (May-October) Open Garden Days. Feel free to come out anytime between 9:00 AM & 3:00 PM.
Come out and give us a hand! Our Horticulture Zone Manager, Andy Nolan, tends to the Zone from 9am until 3pm Monday to Friday. Feel free to call him with any questions or if you are interested in volunteering at 215 558 1580. All are welcome!
*Children must be acoompanied by an adult*